Fedw Wood was bequeathed to the community over 100 years ago and the Community Council are the trustees. It is a mixed woodland of just over 11 acres, and is only a short walk outside the village. The wood was being managed by the Brecon Beacons National Park, however due to diminishing funds they have not been able to keep on top of the work required.
A group was set up, as part of the Cwmdu Sustainable Energy Group, to take on the management. Our objective is to make the wood a useful asset and to encourage access for all.
In brief our aims are:
- To restart a coppicing routine.
- To keep the paths open, repair the stiles and fencing.
- To carry out a biodiversity audit to establish what wildlife there is and look at ways to encourage more.
- To explore activities such as charcoal production.
- To encourage local people to visit and enjoy the wood and facilitate its use as an educational tool