The University of the Third Age welcomes new members who are no longer in full-time employment.
They will have long ago passed the First Age of school and possibly further education. They will also have passed the Second Age of work and possible involvement with a young family. In their Third Age they will probably have found a new freedom and a desire to find new interests or develop those they already have.
There are over 600 U3A groups in Britain, each one being independent and self-funding. Each group is able to organise its own programme, depending on the interests of its members. These will include intellectual, artistic and physical pursuits and advice and help is always at hand from universities, museums and the Third Age Trust.
Here in Crickhowell we are a self-help organisation dependent upon all members playing an active role. Some offer experience and expertise in giving talks, organising special interest groups (SIGs), organising outings, helping in preparation of presentations, and/or serving on the management committee. Help is also needed in other areas, including setting up equipment, preparing refreshments, and, most importantly, welcoming and befriending new members. In addition to the groups below, there is a monthly meeting for all members with a guest speaker.
Special Interest Groups
- Astronomy – meets twice monthly at Group Leader’s house
- Archaeology – meets monthly to visit sites of interest or listen to talks
- Art Group – meets twice monthly locally
- Badminton – meets fortnightly
- Bird Watching – field trips monthly
- Book Club 1 is full but there’s room in the two below. All meet monthly
- Bookworms ( Club 2 )
- Lit Lovers (Club 3)
- Beginners Bridge-meets weekly, is full
- Monday Bridge – meets weekly, some vacancies
- Wednesday Bridge – meets weekly, is full with waiting list
- Family History – meets monthly
- French Conversation – meets monthly alternating French DVDs with conversation
- Geology – meets monthly
- History of Art – meets monthly studying U3A course on lives of famous painters
- Mountain a Month – meets monthly to walk the hills
- Opera – meets monthly to watch opera DVDs on big screen
- Out and About – organised outings approx monthly to places of interest
- Photography – meets monthly
- Play Reading – meets twice monthly, needs more men!
- Spanish Conversation – includes reading and activities, meets twice monthly
- Table Tennis – meets weekly
- Theatre Visits – visits to Bath, Malvern, Cardiff, Newport, Bristol, Abergavenny, Brecon by coach and car
- Welsh Matters – meets monthly