The Brecon Beacons Park Society is a Registered Charity whose aims are:-
To advance the enhancement, protection and conservation of the countryside and other amenities of the Brecon Beacons National Park for the benefit of the public.
To advance the education of the public in the ways in which to achieve the above including the provision of opportunities for healthy recreation and in particular walking.
Activities of the Society
All our activities are carried out by a team of dedicated volunteers. We are always interested in having more volunteer help. If you are interested please email using the link above.
- We keep a watching brief on all planning applications in the Park and comment on those of significance.
- We receive information about the state of the footpaths and other rights of way in the Park and bring footpath problems to the attention of the Park Authority
- We support the aims of the Fforest Fawr Geopark, are represented on its Management Group and work in partnership on suitable projects.
- We are a member of the Brecon Beacons Trust, established to help people, communities and voluntary organisations achieve positive environmental conservation and enhancement within the Park.
- We supported the creation of and help to maintain the Beacons Way – a 100 mile linear walk across the Park
- We provide Guided Walks in different areas of the Park every weekend and some weekdays throughout the whole year. Free to Members.
- We run a series of lively and informative Talks and Events throughout the year. Free to Members.
- We bring young people, who might not otherwise get the chance, to the Park to enjoy the benefits of the outdoors through the Art in the Park project.
- Working with Walls of Llangynidr we help preserve dry stone walls in the National Park.
- We worked with the Brecon Beacons Park Authority to obtain International Dark Skies Reserve status for the National Park.
- We work with the Brecon Beacons Park Authority on issues of importance within the National Park. We are members of the BBNPA’s Advisory Committees.
- We work with the Campaign for National Parks, Friends of Pembroke National Park and the Snowdonia Society on the Welsh and UK Governments legislative programmes that directly affect the operation or, indeed, continued existence of national parks and respond to consultations.
- We publish a twice yearly magazine The Beacon, and a twice yearly Newsletter, both distributed free to Members.
Would you like to join the Society?
Would you like to help the Society as a volunteer?
We are always looking for volunteers to help with our work, whether on a specific project or on a more regular basis, please email us if you are interested, using the link above.